Saturday, December 08, 2007

The Story of Walker

Here is the second part of Walker's story. globeandmail.com: The Boy in the Moon

I am just amazed at the quality of so many people in this series. Other parents with children with CFC. The children themselves. Like many of the parents stated it would be so hard to know your child was suffering and had no idea how to help them. I think it would be so hard for Ian and his wife to make the decision to send Walker to a home. Back in the day (I'm talking 1950s-1970s) Children with disabilities were sent to homes, away from their families and never seen again. One of my friends from book club, her husband is a twin and his twin sister was born disabled and sent away. He barely knows her and wishes he did. I think it takes great courage to raise these kids, and greater courage to do what's best for them, even if it means sending them away or sharing the load with others. Wow, the more I read this story, the more I'm amazed.

1 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

sarah, i'm so glad you have shared this with us. it truly is amazing how they are able to do it. i have thought of them many times in the last week as i've faced struggles with my own children. it really puts things into perspective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home