Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lock me in the deep freeze

Ah yes, Fargo has made national news. As quoted on CNN today Jan 15th:

"It was 48 below in Fargo, North Dakota, where unprotected fingers could suffer frostbite in 60 seconds."

I stepped out this morning without a scarf on--big mistake. I thought my nose was going to freeze and fall off. As I wrote on my facebook status the other day, I'm pretty sure that sticking my head in a freezer would be warmer and more enjoyable than sticking my head outside.


This is me actually prepared for the weather--much better. When you go out to shovel your driveway, you can't recognize your neighbors because all you can see is a view like this. Just eyes.



Here is our house. We got a flyer in the mail from the City telling us not to go on our roofs and try to shovel off the snow. They said it's dangerous, not necessary (because they build the roofs to hold the weight of the snow), and it helps insulate your house for heating costs. BUT, when I drive around I see people who have attempted to shovel off the snow off their roofs. I don't know if it's the retired people who are bored or what, but these houses have a little border of snow removed from around the edge of their roofs. They actually sell special shovels to remove snow of your roof. I guess I don't understand it. I think I'd kill myself trying to climb up a ladder in this weather just to see if I could remove a tenth of the snow off my roof.



Here are my kids all bundled up. They look like native Fargoans don't they? Do you like Whitney's scarf? I knitted it--I taught myself watching a YouTube tutorial. I think I'm going to knit one for Joshua--that thin little flimsy piece of polar fleece isn't cutting it as a scarf anymore.

As fun as it is to joke that we're living in the tundra, up until the past few days, it really isn't that bad. You just have to bundle up if you want to go outside, and warm up your car for a couple of minutes before you go to the store.

8 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger Deb said...

I can't imagine that kind of cold. I hope it never gets that cold here. It's cold enough already. Next week it's supposed to get up into the 60's I can't wait! Drink lots of hot cocoa.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger emily said...

OHHHHHHH Sarah!!! come to Ohio! it's only -4 Degrees!!! what were we thinking?!!! do they not cancel school because of cold weather? I'm so sorry!!! I love your scarf you made for Whitney, way to go!! I enlarged it and saw that she was holding something tasty from the Bakery!! we need to chat!! it's been a long time.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Mommy Meen said...

Ooh, I'm good at Northern trivia! People remove some of the snow from the edges of their roof to prevent ice dams which can form and hurt shingles and gutters. The whole snow insulating roof thing isn't so good if you get a layer of ice formed from heat escaping your home :) As for the big shovel things, they're actually kind of fun . . . until you scrape the contents of your roof onto your head. Our weather is supposed to warm up this weekend, I hope it comes your way too.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Sarah S said...

You have the best attitude Sarah!! I can tell you grew up in Canada :) I'm freezing here in Chicago and love all of the comparisons that our local news mentions with the temps in Fargo - as if that's going to make us feel warm??

I love the pictures. And I'm a little jealous of your attached garage. I'm glad you're staying warm in Fargo!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Katrina said...

Wow! (Thanks for the update!) Good to know you're making it through it all (not that I doubted!). You're a trooper.
Stay inside and take care!

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Anne Marie said...

Brrrr! I've heard about the frigid weather up there. Way to go on the scarf for Whitney! Stay warm.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Alyssa Rock said...

Hey, Sarah! I just wanted to tell you that I found out that two of my really great friends from high school are moving to Fargo. Their names are David and Bonny Roberts. (He got a job as a professor of Ag Economics.) They are such awesome people so do me a favor and help them feel welcome! (They're LDS too, so I'm sure you'll bump into them.) You are going to get along great!

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Daina Bitters said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry for you and winter in Fargo! I hope Spring comes soon. Congrats on making Whitney's scarf! I don't think I'll ever learn. -Daina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home