Friday, July 11, 2008

Watermelon Blasters


(photo courtesy of www.marthastewart.com)

I've really been wanting to find some good, cold, delicious AND HEALTHY popsicles for my kids. I've decided I can't find ANY at the grocery store. They all have high fructose corn syrup and artificial food colours. Now, for my readers out there, I am a sort of a food snob. I try not to buy things with high fructose corn syrup, artificial colour, enriched flour, etc for the most part and only buy items with these things for stuff I can't live without. I'm not a health Nazi, but I really don't want to fill up my kids with "filler nutrients" and chemical colouring if I can help it. I really don't want my kids consuming one hundred Mr. Freezes a day.

So, I wanted to make my own Popsicles--problem is I've packed all my non-essential cooking items. I found this GREAT recipe on marthastewart.com for Watermelon Blasters. The kids LOVE them--they're addicted. The best part--absolutely no sugar. Give it a try and see if you like them too:

Watermelon Blasters

Ingredients
3 cups cubed, seeded watermelon
1 1/2 cups strawberries
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (I use one whole lime)
1 cup ice cubes
Sugar, to taste (we've never had to add sugar, the watermelon is sweet enough)
Directions:
Put watermelon, strawberries, lime juice, ice, and sugar if desired into the pitcher of a blender, and blend for 15 seconds on high speed. (Always put the top on the container before processing.) Stop machine, and stir ingredients with a long wooden spoon. Blend for 15 seconds more on high speed.

10 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Blogger Alyssa Rock said...

That looks delicious! I'm totally with you on the high fructose corn syrup... but it's seriously in EVERYTHING. So hard to keep it out of your diet...

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Sarah S said...

yum!! high fruc. c.s. drives me crazy too! I get so annoyed when whole grain wheat bread has it?? hello. this watermelon drinks sounds DELISH!

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Tiffany Winters said...

I don't freak out about high fructose corn syrup... a lot of people are... maybe I should be concerned, I feel like a bad mom for not being more particular. They sound good.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

Score - this is super handy as I happen to have all the ingredients at the moment. THanks for the tip! The only problem is I am waiting to get a blender... Oh I will hurry now! Yummy!

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Looks yummy! We, on the other hand, really do eat at least 5 otter pops a day! Maybe I'll have to try this one.

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look so good. I am with you when it comes to avoiding all that nasty sugar stuff. I still wont let emma have cookies unless we are at the grocery store.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

Looks good and refreshing! FHE treats are in order here.
Enjoyed your talks today and we'll really miss you and your family!

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger HJolley said...

this sounds absolutely delish!! i can't wait to try it; i just wish we could do it together before you leave!! thanks again for last friday; it was a blast!

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Anne Marie said...

That's a really great idea. I'm so impressed by your commitment to healhty eating. Hope all the moving is going well.

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger esherman10 said...

Sounds yummy...I'll have to try these out one of these hot summer days!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home